OPEN: Museum and Schoolhouse are back to operating with normal hours. See below for more info.
The Colman Museum, Centerville Schoolhouse are Park all still standing after the historic Camp Fire. Thanks to our neighbors, caretaker, and fire departments.
Stay up to date with events and canyon happenings, by subscribing to our newsletter:
In 1976, Lois Colman, granddaughter of D.B. Colman, canyon pioneer, realized her dream of preserving the history of Butte Creek Canyon came true, with the opening of the Colman Memorial Museum. The museum was financed with the profits of her book "Tailings of Butte Creek Canyon".
We're on for 2021!
June 13th , 9am - 3pm
The first Centerville School was built in 1872 at Nimshew and Helltown Road. Ms. Kate Gillman was the first teacher with a salary of $30.00, plus room and board. In 1891 Ms. Ada Woods began teaching at the school, and became engaged to Charles Hintz. He built a new school at his property, just a short distance from the "Steelbridge". He sold the school to the district for $600.00. In 1895 Charles Hintz and Ada Woods were married.